[Peace-discuss] Andrew Bacevich -- check this out!!

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 2 19:28:27 CDT 2010

Bacevich is an imperialist goof.

For his generally benighted view, see his book "American Empire" (2002), where
he wrote about "the imperative of America's mission as the vanguard of history,
transforming the global order and, in doing so, perpetuating its own dominance
[guided by] the imperative of military supremacy, maintained in perpetuity and
projected globally" (p.215ff.)

This is the sort of person who ends up as professor of "international relations"
at Boston University (where Howard Zinn was hounded out).

His objection to American policy in the Mideast on Democracy Now! today is that
it isn't working. We're not killing enough Asians to make our writ run, and it's
too expensive.

To his credit - because it's so rare - he devotes exactly one sentence to the
real purpose of the war - "We are in that part of the world because of oil" -
but that's all!

The totality of the interview is the sort of objection that Nazi generals might
have made of the Russian campaign.

The antiwar movement continues to be in serious trouble when people who purport
to be against the war praise Bacevich.  --CGE