[Peace-discuss] Bacevich: Vietnam vs. Munich, and Creating an "Iraq/Afghanistan Syndrome"

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Aug 3 22:24:24 CDT 2010

Actually, Bacevich's condemnation of Obama is more severe, personal, and even
moralistic than those of us who think that Obama is just another political hack
like Kennedy, Clinton, the Bushes et al.  Bacevich' marshmallow prose covers
this particular nut in the DN interview, even though Amy points it out:

'AMY GOODMAN: Our guest today is Andrew Bacevich. This is his first interview on
his book that’s coming out tomorrow, Washington Rules: America’s Path to
Permanent War. I wanted to read a quote from a piece you just recently wrote,
where you’re saying, "The question demands to be asked: Who is more deserving of
contempt? The commander-in-chief who sends young Americans to die for a cause,
however misguided, in which he sincerely believes? [B. MEANS G. W. BUSH] Or the
commander-in-chief who sends young Americans to die for a cause in which he
manifestly does not believe and yet refuses to forsake? [HE MEANS B. H. OBAMA]"'

Obama is more deserving of contempt than Bush, because he's a hypocrite.

We should be putting that around.