[Peace-discuss] Bacevich: Vietnam vs. Munich, and Creating an "Iraq/Afghanistan Syndrome"

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Aug 4 13:20:12 CDT 2010

The only strategic miscalculation in the Clinton-Bush-Obama war in SW Asia
(similar in this regard to the Kennedy-Johnson-Nixon war in in SE Asia) was an
underestimate of the local resistance to the imposition of puppet governments in
Iraq and Afghanistan.  But the puppets are being established nevertheless. (That
may involve - as is being bruited about among US diplomats right now - a Pashtun
protectorate in the south of Afghanistan.)

Otherwise the US military domination of the Greater Middle East in the first
decade of the 21st c. was successful.  Iran remains a problem, particularly as
it attracts allies such as Turkey, Brazil, and Pakistan (which itself remains a
potentially greater problem).

But in general, US wars have been quite winnable - and continue to be.  Even in
Vietnam the US achieved its aim - preventing the independent development of an
society not subject to the US-dominated world economy - by means of massive
violence.  The US didn't achieve its maximum aim - a quiescent puppet government
- but "the threat of a good example" was averted. Vietnam now begs for Nike
factories.

The question in the Middle East is whether the US can titrate the violent
destruction of recalcitrant countries, since the massive violence employed in SE
Asia is less acceptable domestically.  (That's why the USG is worried about the
Wikileaks documents - and why the pundits are working so hard to convince us
they aren't important.)

And the administration may even be able to gin up a Vietnam-style air attack on
Iran.  Obama has been talking about that since he ran for the Senate. The
question is, can he invent enough of an emergency to sell it to the US public?

What political miscalculation?  The Democrats will lose Congressional seats in
November, but the president's party almost always does at mid-term elections.
And the prevarications of Obama and the Democrats so destroyed the antiwar
movement by 2008 that it's hard to see its being a problem for him in 2012.

The equivalent of a Tet Offensive, a revolt in the military, and/or an aroused
US public all seem unlikely. In their absence, Obama and his advisers should be
able to craft his re-election. He'll run against a demonized tea-party, welcome
the liberals home, and probably win handily, like Bush in 2004.