[Peace-discuss] A dagger pointed at our oil

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 5 10:05:29 CDT 2010

   " A new configuration of power is emergent in the Middle East - how
substantial it is, and whether it will be able to withstand U.S. pressure, I
can't say - but clearly a new configuration of power is beginning to emerge
along the axis of Iran-Turkey-Syria and, you might argue, Lebanon - versus the
grouping of the regime leftover from the British Mandate period, which has been
taken over by the U.S. and includes Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and possibly
Iraq, although it's not yet clear where Iraq fits into the picture. The U.S. is
definitely concerned about this configuration of power, which is reminiscent of
what in the nineteen sixties was called the 'radical Arab regimes,' back then
headed by Nasser in Egypt, and Syria. Nowadays these regimes are less about the
rhetoric, but they have substantial economies, and they're well entrenched."

Full article at <http://www.guernicamag.com/interviews/1933/finkelstein_8_1_10/>.