[Peace-discuss] Shlomo Sand: The Invention of the Jewish People

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 9 13:00:03 CDT 2010

Hi Mort,

I'm more than half-way through it, and it's fascinating, although often tough
going. It's also very well-written, well-translated, or both. I think it gets at
historical truths, but more interestingly (as Adam points out) at
historiographical truths from 19th century Germany, through the origins of
Zionism, to the present. What's done is done, and Israel "exists." But it
wouldn't hurt if people understood the implications of the likelihood that the
Palestinians are descendants of the Judaeans of antiquity, and that Jews like
you and me are almost certainly not. It also says a lot about the early
relationship between Judaism and Christianity that is not well known.

DG