[Peace-discuss] Why Should the Senate Fund "Enduring" U.S. Military Bases in Afghanistan?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 26 07:39:07 CDT 2010

  But the US bases in Iraq continue to be funded and built (even if the
offending phrase is avoided), and the US remains in Iraq in a fashion that is
clearly long-term.

The US launched the Iraq war with two goals: (1) military bases in the midst of
the world's greatest energy-producing region, and (2) control of the country
with the world's second-largest oil reserves.  It's achieved both.

But the policy is regional, including AfPak and Yemen.  The Obama administration
is pursuing it vigorously, and avoiding the terms "long-term" or "enduring"
won't change the policy.  Only de-funding it will do that.