[Peace-discuss] Why Should the Senate Fund "Enduring" U.S. Military Bases in Afghanistan?

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 07:52:29 CDT 2010

You missed something, or you're eliding it.

In 2008, Congress rejected a Pentagon request for military
construction in Iraq, not because the Pentagon *called* it "long
term," but because it seemed to Congress that it *was* "long term."
They rejected it not because of what it was called, but because of
what it was. They did not insist on a name change. They refused to
fund the project.

Congress has not made a similar move with respect to military
construction in Afghanistan.

You can claim that such a move would not be sufficiently meaningful to
care about for your personal taste, but you cannot claim that such a
move would not be theoretically possible, because there is a
precedent.

>>> http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/feingold-mcgovern