[Peace-discuss] Corn Festival -- RE: Sweet Corn Fest Fri & Sat!

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Sun Aug 29 13:07:41 CDT 2010

Stuart,

That would be a legitimate question if all things were equal which they are
not; and at one time, I might have agreed.  I have long ago given up on the
efficacy or education alone as an effective tool (particularly in the case
of its use by the underdog or minorities).  It takes much more than mere
education or educating.

However, on another note, if it is true that we are all products of our
education as you suggest - although I see us all as being products of a much
broader and informal social process of socio-cultural socialization which
takes place long before any formal education and when the young members of a
society  cannot read, write, talk, or comprehend sophisticated media
propaganda - formal education and mass media propaganda merely serve to
reinforce the basic socio-cultural norms and values that we have been made
to internalize as we are growing up, except possibly in the cases of
immigrants to a society who may have internalized slightly different norms,
values, and beliefs as to the proper ways to act and think. But assuming
that we are all products of education and that anti-war groups have as much
right to engage in educating as other groups, one should be asking the
question of  why the anti-war groups are any different or better than their
opponents in both their educational practice and content.  Are not they also
engaging in a form of brainwashing?  Isn't it just a case of my old man is
tougher than your old man?  It appears to me that if one engages in the same
sorts of brainwashing practices (e.g., educating) as one's opponents, then
one has become the monster that one is fighting and is no better than one's
opponent for all practical purposes (disregarding ethical and moral beliefs
in the righteousness of one's content which the opposition also sees as
being true of their position and content).  In the words of Sancho Pancho in
Don Quixote, "whether the stone hits the pitcher or the pitcher hits the
stone, it is going to be bad for the pitcher."  Brainwashing is brainwashing
regardless of the content; and uncritical acceptance of the content of any
brainwashing that leads to the lack of questioning of one's own premises as
well as those of others comprises the production of mental midgets and moral
idiots in my book.