[Peace-discuss] Double-think in the ideological institutions

Rohn Koester rohnkoester at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 3 17:07:07 CST 2010

Compare this to Assange's comment in an online chat published by the Guardian today:

"The west has fiscalised its basic power relationships through a web of contracts, loans, shareholdings, bank holdings and so on. In such an environment it is easy for speech to be 'free' because a change in political will rarely leads to any change in these basic instruments. Western speech, as something that rarely has any effect on power, is, like badgers and birds, free. In states like China, there is pervasive censorship, because speech still has power and power is scared of it. We should always look at censorship as an economic signal that reveals the potential power of speech in that jurisdiction. The attacks against us by the US point to a great hope, speech powerful enough to break the fiscal blockade."

[via the IOZ blog, original: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2010/dec/03/julian-assange-wikileaks]