[Peace-discuss] Double-think in the ideological institutions

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Dec 3 19:26:18 CST 2010

This is a very important point, but the conclusion is not hopeful:

"We should always look at censorship as an economic signal that reveals the
potential power of speech in that jurisdiction."

But the Chinese are worried, and the Obama administration is not. They've
managed to get us thinking that Sarah Palin is the threat.  Good liberals in
America have learnt that they must rally to their betters in government
(Republicans and Democrats) who will hold off the unwashed - Sarah Palinites and
Ron Paulists - who are about to overwhelm the basically good-hearted PLU who are
running the American government...

The capitulation of American liberalism is so complete - the index is the
purported fear of "racism" - that we have not even taken aboard Jefferson's
hard-headed and obvious observation of the better part of two centuries ago:

"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who
fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the
hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people,
have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe,
although not the most wise depositary of the public interests. In every country
these two parties exist, and in every one where they are free to think, speak,
and write, they will declare themselves. Call them, therefore, Liberals and
Serviles, Jacobins and Ultras, Whigs and Tories, Republicans and Federalists,
Aristocrats and Democrats, or by whatever name you please, they are the same
parties still and pursue the same object. The last one of Aristocrats and
Democrats is the true one expressing the essence of all." --Thomas Jefferson to
Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73

Republicans and Democrats (and academics) make up the "aristocrats" today. But
the large majority of our fellow citizens - excoriated as "tea partiers" - are
Jefferson's "democrats" (not of course our Democrats).