[Peace-discuss] karen medina has key to McKinley for AWARE meetings over winter break

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Dec 13 18:33:10 CST 2010

This is what Dante called /il gran rifiuto/ - the resignation of the papacy!

The author is an interesting 19th-century American poet who graduated from Yale
at the outset of the civil war; he was "class poet." How did he avoid the war?
Like Twain, he went West to seek his fortune.  After the war, he came back and
entered Harvard Divinity School in 1867 but then went to New York to work on a
newspaper. He was a high school teacher and professor of English literature at
the University of California. His best-known poem is the long (too long) "The
Venus of Milo" (1883), part of a farewell tribute to his California friends.