[Peace-discuss] P.S.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Feb 6 22:17:19 CST 2010

[1] The writer of "what the authentic Left says" indubitably deserves the title,
and he has a few friends who agree with him.

[2] Rep. Tim Johnson makes far more sense to me on at least one issue than his
faux-left Democratic opponent. He says he was wrong to vote for war in
Afghanistan and Iraq - and so is voting no on more money for war in the Middle
East. David Gill has not made such a pledge.

[3] Your picture of FDR - and worse, the lesson you draw from it - needs work.
Take a look at the late Howard Zinn's account in A People's History of the
United States and tell us how you disagree with it.  --CGE

John W. wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 9:08 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu
> <mailto:galliher at illinois.edu>> wrote:
>

> I take it that, unlike David, you don't agree with "what the authentic Left
> says," below?  --CGE
>

> Christ, Carl.  First of all, there's no such thing as "the authentic Left";
> it's a figment of your febrile imagination.  And of course I agree in part
> and disagree in part.
>
> 1) Poor people and lower middle class people have legitimate grievances.  Not
>  ALL of the grievances they inarticulately try to express, or borrow from
> Limbaugh and Beck, are even remotely legitimate.  One could write a veritable
>  BOOK on this statement:  "I've done everything right all my life, I'm a
> god-fearing Christian, I'm white, I'm male, I've worked hard, and I carry a
> gun. I do everything I'm supposed to do. And I'm getting shafted."   But the
> economic grievances generally are, and of course they affect black and white,
>  male and female, Christian and atheist, all of whom work hard and are "doing
>  everything they're supposed to do".
>
> 2) One could also write a veritable BOOK on the following statement: "And in
> fact they are getting shafted. For 30 years their wages have stagnated or
> declined, the social conditions have worsened, the children are going crazy,
> there are no schools, there's nothing, so somebody must be doing something to
>  them, and they want to know who it is. Well Rush Limbaugh has answered -
> it's the rich liberals who own the banks and run the government, and of
> course run the media, and they don't care about you -- they just want to give
> everything away to illegal immigrants and gays and communists and so on."
> Suffice it to say here that everything ascribed to Rush Limbaugh before the
> hyphen is correct, and everything after the hyphen is false.
>
> 3) The following is also true with a couple of caveats:  "...gifts don't come
>  from above; you're going to win them, or you won't have them, and you win by
>  struggle, and that requires understanding and serious analysis of the
> options and the circumstances, and then you can do a lot."  The caveats are
> these: (a) a few gifts DO come down from above, but generally not political
> progress, which is what we're talking about here; and (b) even with all of
> this struggle, you don't really "do a lot".  You do a little, incrementally,
> and then you're knocked back and you have to repeat the process over and over
>  again. 4) It's true that the crazy, oversimplified answers the tea baggers
> get from Beck and Limbaugh make sense to them, and that the "left" has no
> answers for them.  YOU have no answers for them that would make sense to
> them, Carl.  Rep. Tim Johnson makes far more sense to them than you do or
> ever will.  And it's largely because the folks we're talking about -
> relatively poor, largely uneducated, weighed down by literally hundreds of
> [...]

believed to be clean.