[Peace-discuss] P.S.

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 02:45:47 CST 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 10:17 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu>wrote:

> [1] The writer of "what the authentic Left says" indubitably deserves the
> title,
> and he has a few friends who agree with him.

Ah, so Noam Chomsky it is, huh?  Rush Limbaugh has a few friends who agree
with him also, and doubtless consider him the voice of the "authentic
Right".  Your point?  I'm sure you have one here someplace.

So how many citizens has Noam Chomsky actually organized in his long and
illustrious career?  Oh, wait....he's an "intellectual", right?  Hahahaha!

> [2] Rep. Tim Johnson makes far more sense to me on at least one issue than
> his
> faux-left Democratic opponent. He says he was wrong to vote for war in
> Afghanistan and Iraq - and so is voting no on more money for war in the
> Middle
> East. David Gill has not made such a pledge.

Yes, we know, Carl.  Your One Note Samba here.  Yet Chomsky was
speaking mostly of domestic issues - though I concede that the two are
inseparable.  In any event, you ignored 98% of what I said...which is what
you always do.  But it doesn't really matter, does it?

> [3] Your picture of FDR - and worse, the lesson you draw from it - needs
> work.

So you say.

> Take a look at the late Howard Zinn's account in A People's History of the
> United States and tell us how you disagree with it.  --CGE

It's on my list of books to read, Carl.

> [...]
>> even
>>  on the left, to just ridicule them, but that's not the right reaction. If
>> you look at those people and listen to them on talk radio, these are
>> people
>> with real grievances. I listen to talk radio a lot and it's kind of
>> interesting. If you can sort of suspend your knowledge of the world and
>> just
>> enter into the world of the people who are calling in, you can understand
>> them. I've never seen a study, but my sense is that these are people who
>> feel
>> really aggrieved. These people think, "I've done everything right all my
>> life, I'm a god-fearing Christian, I'm white, I'm male, I've worked hard,
>> and
>> I carry a gun. I do everything I'm supposed to do. And I'm getting
>> shafted."
>> And in fact they are getting shafted. For 30 years their wages have
>> stagnated
>> or declined, the social conditions have worsened, the children are going
>> crazy, there are no schools, there's nothing, so somebody must be doing
>> something to them, and they want to know who it is. Well Rush Limbaugh has
>> answered - it's the rich liberals who own the banks and run the
>> government,
>> and of course run the media, and they don't care about you -- they just
>> want
>> to give everything away to illegal immigrants and gays and communists and
>> so
>> on.
>>
>> Well, you know, the reaction we should be having to them is not ridicule,
>> but
>>  rather self-criticism. Why aren't we organizing them? I mean, we are the
>> ones that ought to be organizing them, not Rush Limbaugh. There are
>> historical analogs, which are not exact, of course, but are close enough to
>> be worrisome. This is a whiff of early Nazi Germany. Hitler was appealing to
>>  groups with similar grievances, and giving them crazy answers, but at
>> least
>>  they were answers; these groups weren't getting them anywhere else. It
>> was the Jews and the Bolsheviks [that were the problem].
>>
>> I mean, the liberal democrats aren't going to tell the average American,
>> "Yeah, you're being shafted because of the policies that we've established
>> over the years that we're maintaining now." That's not going to be an
>> answer.
>>  And they're not getting answers from the left. So, there's an internal
>> coherence and logic to what they get from Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and the rest
>> of these guys. And they sound very convincing, they're very self-confident,
>> and they have an answer to everything -- a crazy answer, but it's an answer.
>>  And it's our fault if that goes on. So one thing to be done is don't
>> ridicule these people, join them, and talk about their real grievances and

believed to be clean.