[Peace-discuss] P.S.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Feb 7 09:48:23 CST 2010

[1] As you know, the terms Left and Right as political shorthand began in the
French Legislative Assembly of 1791, when the king was still the head of state,
and the "the party of movement" sat on the (stage) left side of the room, "the
party of order" on the right.  Thus metaphorically the further left you go, the
more democratic you become; the further right, the more authoritarian. (That
would mean of course that Lenin was a right-wing Marxist, in contrast to
left-wing Marxists like Rosa Luxemburg.)

Chomsky is on the left because he doesn't share your contempt for the majority,
as his piece indicates. Limbaugh, an apologist for power, specifically the power
of money, is surely on the right.  And of course he has people who agree with
him, some of whom are quite conscious of what he's doing.

If you count the number of people enlightened by Chomsky's writings - or even
the crowds that show up for his talks - I think you could say that he's
organized quite a large number, as has Limbaugh.  What Chomsky argues in this
piece is that we shouldn't leave the people you despise to be organized by Limbaugh.

[2] There's a war on, and the government for which we are responsible in this
formal democracy is killing people halfway around the world, in spite of Obama's
covering sin with smooth names.  One way to end the war is to cut off funds for
it, and we should be urging our Congressional representatives to do that. We
should take notice when we're successful; we certainly shouldn't vote for a
party that continues the war just because we like what they say on other issues.
  This is the important issue, literally a matter of life and death.

But as you say, foreign and domestic issues are inseparable. Most of what you
said was agreement with most of what Chomsky said; no further comment from me
seemed necessary.

[3] Glad you're reading Zinn.  We should be talking about what lessons we can
draw from the 1930s-40s. Chomsky thinks that the collapse of the Bretton Woods
system (the international economic order set up at the end of WWII) was more
important for world politics than the fall of the Soviet Union.  --CGE

John W. wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 10:17 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu
> <mailto:galliher at illinois.edu>> wrote:
>

> [1] The writer of "what the authentic Left says" indubitably deserves the
> title, and he has a few friends who agree with him.
>

> Ah, so Noam Chomsky it is, huh?  Rush Limbaugh has a few friends who agree
> with him also, and doubtless consider him the voice of the "authentic Right".
> Your point?  I'm sure you have one here someplace.
>
> So how many citizens has Noam Chomsky actually organized in his long and
> illustrious career?  Oh, wait....he's an "intellectual", right?  Hahahaha!
>

> [2] Rep. Tim Johnson makes far more sense to me on at least one issue than
> his faux-left Democratic opponent. He says he was wrong to vote for war in
> Afghanistan and Iraq - and so is voting no on more money for war in the
> Middle East. David Gill has not made such a pledge.
>
> Yes, we know, Carl.  Your One Note Samba here.  Yet Chomsky was speaking
> mostly of domestic issues - though I concede that the two are inseparable.
> In any event, you ignored 98% of what I said...which is what you always do.
> But it doesn't really matter, does it?
>

> [3] Your picture of FDR - and worse, the lesson you draw from it - needs
> work.
>
> So you say.
>

> Take a look at the late Howard Zinn's account in A People's History of the
> United States and tell us how you disagree with it.  --CGE
>
> It's on my list of books to read, Carl.
>

> John W. wrote:
>

> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 9:08 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu
> <mailto:galliher at illinois.edu> <mailto:galliher at illinois.edu
> <mailto:galliher at illinois.edu>>> wrote:
>

> I take it that, unlike David, you don't agree with "what the authentic Left
> says," below?  --CGE
>

> Christ, Carl.  First of all, there's no such thing as "the authentic Left";
> it's a figment of your febrile imagination. And of course I agree in part and
> disagree in part.
>
> 1) Poor people and lower middle class people have legitimate grievances.  Not
>  ALL of the grievances they inarticulately try to express, or borrow from
> Limbaugh and Beck, are even remotely legitimate. One could write a veritable
> BOOK on this statement:  "I've done everything right all my life, I'm a
> god-fearing Christian, I'm white, I'm male, I've worked hard, and I carry a
> gun. I do everything I'm supposed to do. And I'm getting shafted."   But the
> economic grievances generally are, and of course they affect black and white,
>  male and female, Christian and atheist, all of whom work hard and are "doing
>  everything they're supposed to do".
>
> 2) One could also write a veritable BOOK on the following statement: "And in
> fact they are getting shafted. For 30 years their wages have stagnated or
> declined, the social conditions have worsened, the children are going crazy,
> [...]

believed to be clean.