[Peace-discuss] a friend: Haiti's problem is overpopulation

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 8 19:17:47 CST 2010

People should have access to birth control.  The primary hindrance to that in
the world are the large pharmaceutical companies whom the Obama administration
protects.

Abortion is the illegitimate ending of human life, and the USG is a past master
at that, each recent administration being responsible for the deaths of
millions, with the Obama administration bidding fair to match if not surpass its
predecessors - écrasez l'infâme.

"Overpopulation" is a matter, as Lenin said, of Who-whom? The Upper East Side is
not overpopulated (with one of the highest population densities in the world),
but Haiti and Gaza are, because the Wrong Sort of People live there. But we can
take care of that, says the First World, if we can just git 'er done before what
used to be called the Third World notices what we're up to with our
"humanitarian intervention" - and strikes back.  But we know we can count on
pious liberals for cover...

Brussel Morton K. wrote:
> Maybe Carl should consult on these issues with his guru, Chomsky. He should
> ask Chomsky  if the latter believes the poor world peoples should have access
> to birth control and abortion. But of course, Carl will deflect this question
> by going off in some other direction, posing another issue, as usual.
>
> Overpopulation is always a problem, as the word implies. But there are
> instances where it is tolerable because of wealth, or outside aid and
> resources, for example. The Netherlands does (do?) quite well. So does New
> York City. Gaza would be better off if it could have a viable population and
> received support from others to beneficially sustain its economy and people.
> Ditto Haiti. China knew what it had to do. So does India.
>
> Carl likes to vituperate.
>

> On Feb 8, 2010, at 4:11 PM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
>
>> The article is racist, bordering on the genocidal, as becomes obvious when
>> put in another context, such as Israel-Gaza.
>>
>> It does fit rather neatly into the strong American eugenic tradition, with
>> its "concern [as Justice Ginsburg says] about population growth and
>> particularly growth in populations that we don’t want to have too many of."
>>

>> Jenifer Cartwright wrote:
>>> I don't see anything in the article that anyone could disagree with...

believed to be clean.