[Peace-discuss] a friend: Haiti's problem is overpopulation

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 9 12:30:19 CST 2010

I think you may be unaware that a new pope was elected in 2005; and few
Americans are acquainted with his views, because there is apparently a
journalistic convention that he is by definition a "conservative" and therefore
what he actually says is not much reported.

How many Americans know of his opposition to the US war in the Middle East? How
many are aware that he called last summer for "redistribution of wealth" and for
international governing bodies to regulate the economy?  --CGE

Jenifer Cartwright wrote:
> Ahhh, but he isn't and doesn't, you see, true of all popes thru the ages (so
> far as we know)... So the old rules persist (at least in the rule books, less
>  and less so among Catholics and many Catholic countries, esp the more
> progressive ones). I'm willing to lay odds that the rule books will be
> amended during the next pope's tenure, long overdue. --Jenifer

believed to be clean.