[Peace-discuss] NYT "Mystery" Op-ed Calls for More Afghan Civilian Deaths

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Feb 19 13:52:15 CST 2010

But the action people should take is the rejection of US policy in AfPak.  An
apology from the NYT doesn't do much for that.  What might it say? "Oh, right,
we shouldn't talk about killing civilians as the policy proceeds..."

A growing recognition of what the policy is, over against the lies of the
administration & the NYT, might be a worthwhile goal.  Otherwise, you're just
contributing to the sort of debate Chomsky describes:

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the
spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that
spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives
people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the
presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the
range of the debate."

believed to be clean.