[Peace-discuss] Domini canes

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Jan 2 23:22:39 CST 2010

[RIP. I was privileged to have met all three of these men. --CGE]

Edward Schillebeeckx OP, the Belgian-born theologian who played a key role in
the Dutch Church and at the Second Vatican Council, died aged 95 on 23 December
in Nijmegen, where he had lived and taught since 1958. He was due to be buried
in the Dutch city on New Year’s Eve. Fr Timothy Radcliffe OP, former master of
the Dominican Order, called Schillebeeckx “a wonderful brother whom I am proud
to have known”. The Peruvian Dominican, Gustavo Gutiérrez, considered the
founder of liberation theology, said: "We are greatly indebted to Edward for the
paths he opened, but especially for his witness and his friendship. He was
important in my life.”

[And I think more will be heard of liberation theology - which the School of the
Americas boasts of having suppressed - in the coming decade.]