[Peace-discuss] Fw: GP RELEASE Greens: 'Citizens United' ruling will...

unionyes unionyes at ameritech.net
Sun Jan 24 19:11:36 CST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: David Sladky
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:55 PM
Subject: GP RELEASE Greens: 'Citizens United' ruling will...

Sent: Sun, Jan 24, 2010 8:38 am

In a message dated 1/24/2010 1:34:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, cobbweb at greens.org writes:
  > Many Greens are supporting Move To Amend (http://www.movetoamend.org), which, like the Green Party, asserts that human beings, not corporations, are persons entitled to constitutional rights; that money is not speech; and that the right to vote and have one's vote counted must be guaranteed. Move To Amend demands a constitutional amendment enacting these principles.

I certainly support the general positions the Greens are taking on this, and certainly oppose the concept that corporations are persons under our constitution (and are aware of the controversy over the deceptions that went into the court allegedly recognizing corporations as people).

One caution that I have is that, as a lawyer, having briefly read the summary of the case, most of the majority decision, and some of the dissenting opinion, there does not appear to be a simple remedy. My concern is given a court decision that once again seems more driven by personal ideological biases rather than sound legal reasoning, merely overturning the concept of corporate personhood does not necessarily overturn the court's recent decision. (Restoring a Supreme Court that upholds the law is the clearer solution).

 The idea of a constitutional amendment related to corporate personhood seems to be getting a fair amount of attention. Something the Greens support for reasons far beyond this court decision.

 The website cited above - movetoamend - goes far beyond this particular approach in a way greens would support, but I wonder how difficult and complex it would be to draft (and more importantly, then pass) a constitutional amendment that would actually accomplish the goals it lays out
believed to be clean.