[Peace-discuss] Fw: GP RELEASE Greens: 'Citizens United' ruling will...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Jan 24 19:41:50 CST 2010

[The following is an amalgamated ("corporate") response from comments on Doug
Henwood's excellent LBO email list.  The burden is that denying personhood to
corporations is an exercise in missing the point - which is to control
corporations.  --CGE]

afoot by some folks on the left to amend the Constitution to end corporate
personhood. See here: <http://www.movetoamend.org/>. Maybe I'm missing something
important, but this seems insane. Legally speaking, labor unions are
corporations ("non-stock corporations") - so are all cooperatives, and Amnesty
International, and the Economic Policy Institute, etc. They're all corporations,
as is pretty much any non-governmental organization. "Corporation" is a legal
term, but basically it's just a synonym for "collectivity." Is the left in this
country so hyper-individualistic that it wants to stymie all economic and social
life not based on the rugged individual?

[What's necessary instead is serious regulation of business corporations -
democratic control of investment decisions, nationalization of banks,
redistribution of wealth - as Joseph Stiglitz recommends in his new book.]

...It's a legalistic, petit bourgeois illusion that doesn't seem very thought
through. Not a word about increasing social control over investment or worker
control over the workplace. Instead, there's an instinctive focus on the
corporate form itself, as if that were the focus of evil in the modern world, to
borrow a phrase from Ronald Reagan.

unionyes wrote:

> [...]

believed to be clean.