[Peace-discuss] Oh, Canada!

E.Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Thu Jul 1 21:48:29 CDT 2010

...those who make peaceful r{3voJ}ution impossible...

The display of increasingly brutal, arrogant, and astonishingly stoic inhuman/robotic/Borg-mind paramilitary police muscle at the economic summit G20 events (London, Pittsburgh, Toronto) and at the political conventions of both major parties should be one hell of a concern for everyone.
  "The fact that there were no serious injuries arising from all of the actions of the police over the course of the weekend is quite frankly extraordinary under the circumstances," said [Toronto] police chief Bill Blair.  Officers "showed remarkable restraint in the face of enormous provocation," he added. "They did their jobs."

A fully armed and armoured cop holding the hapless female victim down by the neck is for sure fairly remarkable restraint.  One can imagined the silly girls might even have addressed her adversary with some (*gasp*) disrespectful expressions of dismay.  Provocation indeed.  Who could resist threatening them with rape under such conditions?  After all they didn't *actually* "rape" them now did they?

For those who point out "frankly extraordinary" (under the circumstances) non-violence on the part of the police (paucity of bloodshed unto loss of life) -- that is more of a characteristic of the protestors than of the police.  There was no real test of how far the police would go because of how far the protestors were willing/able to take the matter.

When the awareness of oppression finally sinks in and reaches the point that the oppressed are more willing to die than to suffer their chains, then it will be difficult to speak of "remarkable restraint"  in such sanguine tones.