[Peace-discuss] 3/5 of House Dems "Obsessed" with Afghan Withdrawal Timetable

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Jul 2 16:34:29 CDT 2010

This is a wonderful exercise of interpretation in meliorem partem, Bob - looking
on the bright side.

It was of course the Democrats who arranged the funding for the administration's
escalation of its massive killing of men, women, and children half a world away.

It's hardly a victory that some timorous Democrats once again voted for the
tired fig-leak of a "timetable."

That doesn't even approach the much more forthright statement by the chairman of
the Republican [sic] National Committee:

"...has [Obama] not understood that the one thing you don't do is engage in a
land war in Afghanistan? ... Because everyone who's tried, over a thousand years
of history, has failed. There are reasons for that. And there are other ways to
engage in Afghanistan."

I doubt that many people opposed to US invasion and occupation of the Middle
East will vote Democratic this fall, on the basis of a "timeline."  --CGE