[Peace-discuss] J. Sidney McCain the "3rd" comes out against Steele in support of the War.

E.Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Sun Jul 4 12:30:03 CDT 2010

Why isn't anyone surprised?

Biden and McJerk exchange cooties in Baghdad on Saturday.

McCain: Steele's Comments 'Wildly Inaccurate'
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/07/04/mccain-steeles-comments-wildly-inaccurate/tab/print/
The heat keeps rising on Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele.

The gaffe-prone Steele was caught on tape Thursday saying the Afghanistan war was "of Obama's choosing" and implied it was unwinnable, and on Sunday the party's 2008 presidential nominee said Steele should consider resigning.

"I think that Mr. Steele is going to have to assess as to whether he can still lead the Republican Party as chairman of the Republican National Committee," Sen. John McCain (R., Ariz.) said today on the ABC News program "This Week."

Although he fell short of directly calling for Steele's ouster, McCain is the highest-profile Republican to withdraw his support from the party chairman. Other Republican grandees - including prominent conservative writer William Kirstol - have begun to call for Steele's resignation.

McCain, speaking from Kabul where he was visiting American troops over the July 4th holiday, said he had received an email from Steele in which the party chairman insisted his remarks were "misconstrued." But McCain, a staunch supporter of the Afghan war effort, seemed not to accept the explanation.

"I think those statements are wildly inaccurate and there is no excuse for them," McCain said.

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, another leading Republican war supporter on the Armed Services Committee, also lambasted Steele, saying he was "dismayed, angry, upset" about the Republican chairman's remarks.

Graham, in Kabul on the same trip as McCain, called on the Republican Party to support Obama in his war effort, even if it occasionally criticizes the way the war is being prosecuted.

"It was an uniformed, unnecessary, unwise, untimely comment," Graham said on the CBS News show "Face the Nation." "This is not President Obama's war; this is America's war."

Like McCain, Graham fell short of actually calling for Steele's resignation, saying he would leave it up to the Republican National Committee. But he praised Steele for clarifying his remarks.

"The good news is Michael Steele is backtracking so fast he's going to be in Kabul fighting here pretty soon," Graham said. "I don't think he should be talking about Afghanistan in such uniformed terms. I hope he can get it behind him. We'll see if he can get it behind him."