[Peace-discuss] 4th of July letter to Michael Steele (by "Judy Morris")

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Sun Jul 4 15:08:30 CDT 2010

I would disagree with you, Carl, concerning the questionable attribution
that JFK got us into the Viet Nam war in that the assertion is contingent on
what one defines as the start of that battle.  I would say that it was
Eisenhower, a republican, who got us involved (via black ops and the
machinations  of John Foster Dulles' cold war paranoia) with Viet Nam after
the French were defeated and left.  JFK merely made the involvement visible
by sending uniformed military "advisors" in sizable numbers to "advise" the
South Viet Nam troops; LBJ then formalized the involvement with the "Gulf of
Tonkin" resolution which legitimated and authorized the sending or troops in
a combat status.

Of course, one also has to question why other conflicts and police actions
throughout the US history pursued by the US under Republican - especially -
leadership has been ignored  (e.g., the Indian wars and actions in the West,
Granada, Nicaragua, Panama, etc.)

Moreover, I think that any quibbling over the meaning and use of
"progressive" in today's world of conversation, discussion, and analysis is
more than a mere quibble.  It has the same lineal ideological pro-western
value assumptions and uses as terms like "development," "progress,"
advancement," etc. which serve as rationale and propaganda for policies,
programs and practices.