[Peace-discuss] 4th of July letter to Michael Steele (by "Judy Morris")

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Jul 4 14:08:30 CDT 2010

An excellent exhortation - and essentially correct, I'd say. We could quibble
over the meaning of "progressive" - is it merely a propaganda term or does it
have some content? - but it's certainly true that the presidents named were
Democrats. (See Dennis Perrin's little book, "Savage Mules: The Democrats and
Endless War.")

I'd add that it was John Kennedy (a Democrat) who got us into the Vietnam War.

Of course it was a Republican president who was responsible for the most
American deaths in a war (to date).  Some 620,000 soldiers died in the Civil War
- perhaps almost as many wounded, and an equal number of civilians (?).