[Peace-discuss] Non-violent direct action...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Jul 5 09:56:47 CDT 2010

Jury nullification (i.e., nullification of the effect of a law in a particular
case) occurs when the jury acquits a defendant of a charge of which s/he is
guilty because they determine that the application of the law in this case would
lead to a greater injustice (e.g., a fugitive slave law; censorship laws; and
most non-violent drug cases today).

The defendants here did cause the damage with which they were charged but they
pled in effect extenuating circumstances: e.g., if you justifiably shoot someone
about to attack your family, you should not be convicted of murder or
manslaughter, but that would not be a case of jury nullification.