[Peace-discuss] Non-violent direct action...

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 15:34:27 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 9:56 AM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu>wrote:

> Jury nullification (i.e., nullification of the effect of a law in a
> particular case) occurs when the jury acquits a defendant of a charge of
> which s/he is guilty because they determine that the application of the law
> in this case would lead to a greater injustice (e.g., a fugitive slave law;
> censorship laws; and most non-violent drug cases today).

That's essentially correct.

> The defendants here did cause the damage with which they were charged but
> they pled in effect extenuating circumstances: e.g., if you justifiably
> shoot someone about to attack your family, you should not be convicted of
> murder or manslaughter, but that would not be a case of jury nullification.

That would be self-defense, an actual legitimate legal defense to the taking
of another human life.  But in the case we're talking about, the defendants
were acting not in self-defense but on behalf of unnamed others not even
located in England.  Thus the jury, in order to vote their conscience, had
to nullify the law which the defendants broke.

I think jury nullfication is a wonderful thing, and should be utlized much
more often.