[Peace-discuss] Interview with Norman Finkelstein on Israel, etc.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jul 14 08:37:41 CDT 2010

...What are your views on the BDS movement...?

[FINKELSTEIN:] First of all, people are getting a little too cult-like about
BDS.  You always know a movement is growing insular when it starts using these
in-group abbreviations ('BDS').  In my day it was 'DOP' -- 'Dictatorship of the
Proletariat'.  You have these little abbreviations to show that you're part of
the 'in-group' and you're cool and you know what's going on.  So we should
really steer away from that, because this is not about our egos, which are
sometimes oversized.  It's about trying to achieve an important, humane goal.

There are now basically three strands, as I see it, of resistance to what Israel
is doing.  One strand is the legal one: trying to hold Israel accountable
according to international law.  That took its most salient form in the
Goldstone Report, but there have been a lot of initiatives around it, like the
use of universal jurisdiction in the UK to threaten lawsuits against Israeli
officials and personnel who come to the country.  That to me is an extremely
valuable tool in trying to organise people in the sense of leaning on the law to
say that what we're demanding is simply what the law is demanding.  But in terms
of application it's very elitist, because it's just a very narrow group of
lawyers who can ever really bring to bear the force of law.

Another strand is the nonviolent civil resistance, which includes what goes on
in places like Bil'in, the internationalists who go over there, and also things
like the flotilla.  Those are all part of the nonviolent civil resistance
component -- I won't say 'strategy' because I don't think any of these different
approaches are in conflict -- of opposition to the occupation.

The third component is BDS.  This has, I think, two aspects to it: one aspect
that targets Israel globally, saying anything and everything that has to do with
Israel has to be boycotted, and a second that says we should focus on those
aspects of what Israel does that are illegal under international law.  So for
example, what the Methodist Church in Britain just did: it did not pass a
resolution saying we should boycott all Israeli products, even though there were
some people pushing for that.  It passed a resolution saying we should boycott
Israeli goods that come from the settlements, because the settlements are
illegal under international law.  And then there are the initiatives of, say,
Amnesty International that call for a comprehensive arms embargo on Israel
because the transfer of weapons to persistent human rights abusers is illegal
under international law.  Then there's the targeting of Caterpillar because
Caterpillar is involved in demolition of homes, which is illegal under
international law, and so on.

So there's one subset of BDS that focuses not on Israel globally but on aspects
of Israeli policy that violate international law.  There's another subset that
says everything having to do with Israel should be boycotted -- its academic
institutions, all of its products, and so on and so forth.  Personally, I think
that the first subset -- namely targeting those aspects of Israeli policy that
violate international law -- has a much better chance of success because people
understand international law.  When you start targeting everything having to do
with Israel it begins to pose questions of motive -- 'OK, now, what exactly are
we opposed to here?  Are we opposed to the occupation or are we opposed to
Israel completely?'  And the global targeting is, I think, deliberately
obfuscatory on that issue...

Full article (part one of an interview) at
http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2010/sw130710.html