[Peace-discuss] How to win in November: jobs & income

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jul 14 21:27:02 CDT 2010

"...beyond the scope of this post"?! Come on, John. When did you think anything
to be beyond the scope of your posts?

You're right that Americans are much more concerned about jobs than about the
deficit - in spite of all that Republicans and Democrats and the entire MSM can
do to get them worried about the chimerical deficit - but Americans doubt
(correctly) that the war is producing many jobs. Our mercenary army, of course,
and some arms manufacturing jobs - but they'd be there anyway. (Israel e.g.
needs weapons.)  Americans' first reaction to an announcement that the US is
withdrawing its troops from the Mideast would not be, "Oh, no, there go our
jobs!"

In fact a withdrawal of US expeditionary forces abroad would produce a clamor
for "building up our defenses" - and probably scotch any attempt (like the
Barney Frank-Ron Paul proposal) to reduce the military.

How about spending the money going to war actually to hire people (maybe even to
do useful work, like building mass transit)?  The $33.5 billion "supplemental"
war budget the House just passed would pay a lot of wages and salaries - more
than it's doing through the profit-heavy "defense" industries.

We need a movement (in any political party) that demands the federal government
provide a living-wage job to anyone who wants one.