[Peace-discuss] How to win in November: jobs & income

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 22:18:25 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 9:27 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu>wrote:

> "...beyond the scope of this post"?! Come on, John. When did you think
> anything to be beyond the scope of your posts?

*smile*

> You're right that Americans are much more concerned about jobs than about
> the deficit - in spite of all that Republicans and Democrats and the entire
> MSM can do to get them worried about the chimerical deficit - but Americans
> doubt (correctly) that the war is producing many jobs. Our mercenary army,
> of course, and some arms manufacturing jobs - but they'd be there anyway.
> (Israel e.g. needs weapons.)  Americans' first reaction to an announcement
> that the US is withdrawing its troops from the Mideast would not be, "Oh,
> no, there go our jobs!"

No, probably not.  But I don't think the deficit (or the cumulative national
debt) is in any way "chimerical"  I think it's very real, and the interest
on it alone saps something like a third of all the income taxes we Americans
pay.  We owe real money to real lenders; or else the Fed is simply printing
money, which devalues the currency and creates inflation.  Either way or
both ways, there's nothing chimerical about it.

> In fact a withdrawal of US expeditionary forces abroad would produce a
> clamor for "building up our defenses" - and probably scotch any attempt
> (like the Barney Frank-Ron Paul proposal) to reduce the military.

Probably.  Because we (collectively) still believe in the "terrorist"
bogeyman, and have absolutely no concept of how American foreign policy
creates and sustains what terrorists there are around the world.

> How about spending the money going to war actually to hire people (maybe
> even to do useful work, like building mass transit)?  The $33.5 billion
> "supplemental" war budget the House just passed would pay a lot of wages and
> salaries - more than it's doing through the profit-heavy "defense"
> industries.

Well, of course I agree with you here.  But apparently a majority of
Americans don't....or at least our "leaders" don't.

> We need a movement (in any political party) that demands the federal
> government provide a living-wage job to anyone who wants one.

Though I think your suggestion here is overly simplistic, it would be
lovely.