[Peace-discuss] AWARE this week

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Jul 18 14:38:05 CDT 2010

I'll be late to tonight's meeting & so wanted to mention some items for this week:

   --AOTA Tuesday at 1pm will have representatives from the Catholic Worker
House on a recent convocation (we've mentioned D. Day & Distributism on recent
programs); as usual we need anybody who can come.

   --the upcoming Albany peace conference will also be featured.  (Anyone from
around here going?)

    --I'll do the first shift next Saturday  - I have the swag - but I think we
need more swag, esp. w/ Sweetcorn Festival coming up.

War-related events in week's news:

   --demonization of Chavez suggests there are those in the administration who'd
like military moves in LA.

   --anxiety about economy grows in administration; contraction, deflation,
stock market drop are feared, esp. before fall elections.

   --DC’s spy establishment says it's concerned over Washington Post expose 9but
the WaPo has been CIA's favorite paper...)

   --Army suicides hit record number in June; so do US casualties in AfPak.

   --On Wednesday U.S. senators from both political parties asked the
president's representative to Afghanistan Richard Holbrooke what in the world
the goal could be for the ongoing war; he couldn't answer - but then he doesn't
have to.

   --Senate still has to vote for $33B supplemental...

   --Clinton & Gates on the road: preparing next phase of Long War - What could
it be? ask the citizens of a putative democracy...

White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card explained in 2002 why the propaganda
run-up for the invasion of Iraq was set out in September: "From a marketing
point of view, you don't introduce new products in August."  The Obama
administration seems to be preparing its new war-marketing campaign.

--CGE