[Peace-discuss] House Votes Today on Afghan, Pakistan Wars

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jul 28 04:08:04 CDT 2010

I have no idea how you voted, but I'll leave it to the candid member of AWARE to
say whether you "defended Obama" by objecting vigorously to my news summaries
that criticized his candidacy and pointed out his obfuscation of his position on
the war.  I recall that you exploded at one TV taping when I guyed you a bit for
offering a "commercial for Obama."

I know that our present system is a parody of democracy, but in principle we're
supposed to vote for legislative candidates who will vote correctly on the
issues. There is no issue more important than the war this year, and  it seems
that, unusually enough, we have a choice: an incumbent who is consistently
voting against the war, as he promised to do; and an opponent who refuses to
make a similar promise.  The choice isn't hard for anyone opposed to the war.