[Peace-discuss] House Votes Today on Afghan, Pakistan Wars

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 28 04:40:16 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 04:08:04AM -0500, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> I have no idea how you voted, but I'll leave it to the candid member of
> AWARE to say whether you "defended Obama" by objecting vigorously to my
> news summaries that criticized his candidacy and pointed out his
> obfuscation of his position on the war.  I recall that you exploded at one
> TV taping when I guyed you a bit for offering a "commercial for Obama."
>
> I know that our present system is a parody of democracy, but in principle
> we're supposed to vote for legislative candidates who will vote correctly
> on the issues. There is no issue more important than the war this year, and
>  it seems that, unusually enough, we have a choice: an incumbent who is
> consistently voting against the war, as he promised to do; and an opponent
> who refuses to make a similar promise.  The choice isn't hard for anyone
> opposed to the war.

Well... as I mentioned in David Gill's facebook thread, we still don't
know why Tim Johnson has flipped on the wars (even though I called him
this week to confirm that I'm glad he did).  And as I said there,
one can imagine several plausible reasons -- including that this war
is now being promoted by a President of the opposite party, which could
change in a couple years.  If a President Palin attacks Venezuela,
what would Johnson think of that?  Given that uncertainty, I don't think the
choice is as clear as you say.

It'll mean more if we can see that Gill is taking a position which is
opposed to the President of his own party.  He's done that on health care,
as far as I can see.  And Gill commented, just last night, after conferring
with Progressive Dems. of America, that he will now issue a position
on (I think) war funding, which he had not done before.
I look forward to reading it.