[Peace-discuss] Rachel Corrie Continues Towards Gaza: WillObama Let Israel Attack?

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Tue Jun 1 16:45:50 CDT 2010

I wouldn't hold one's breath.  I do not think that the Israelis view or consider their actions a blunder; nor do I think anyone else does either.  It was fairly well though out and planned - not to mention very deliberate action.  I would suggest that Israel anticipated the sorts of reactions that their actions would produce and assessed both the up and the down sides for them of such actions based on their knowledge and past experiences as to what they could expect.  If Turkey and Europe, China and Russia were to break off diplomatic relations with Israel and declare war with them - calling it a "police action" of course - and attacked Israel's territory with rockets and airpower or troops, then that would have be an unintended and unexpected consequence that would have taken Israel by surprise.  That would be considered by Israel and the rest of the world to have been a blunder on Israel's part in the sense of a miscalculation or irrational action to have attacked the boats in international waters and/or kill and detain persons on those boats.