[Peace-discuss] Guam: Self-Determination, or More U.S. Troops?

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 14:13:56 CDT 2010

For a country whose leaders, editorialists and pundits constantly
pontificate about how we are an indispensable force for freedom in the
world, we rarely discuss the fact that there are places in the world
that are actual U.S. colonies. Still less do we consider whether we
are complying with our international obligations to respect the right
of self-determination for colonized peoples, and if we are not, what
we could do to change that.

A small corrective is being offered as part of Asian Pacific Heritage
Month by PBS, which is webcasting Vanessa Warheit's documentary, "The
Insular Empire: America in the Mariana Islands" until next Sunday,
June 20.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/guam-self-determination-o_b_614688.html

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/6/16/145936/139

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/node/615