[Peace-discuss] Speaker Pelosi, More War Funding Next Week is No "Emergency"

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 11:30:12 CDT 2010

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says she is committed to passing an
emergency war supplemental before the July Fourth recess, Roll Call
reports.

Let us be perfectly clear, as President Obama might say. There is no
"emergency" requiring the House to throw another $33 billion into our
increasingly bloody and pointless occupation of Afghanistan before we
all go off to celebrate the anniversary of our Declaration of
Independence from foreign occupation.

Before voting on more money for war, Representative Jim McGovern and
Representative David Obey have asked the Administration for the
answers to two basic questions. After dumping McChrystal, what the
hell are we doing in Afghanistan? And what the hell is the White House
doing to stop a wave of layoffs of teachers and other public
employees? If the House wants answers to these questions, it has to be
willing to call the Pentagon's bluff.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/speaker-pelosi-more-war-f_b_625601.html

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/6/25/115949/974

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/node/629

--
Robert Naiman
Policy Director
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

Urge Congress to Support a Timetable for Military Withdrawal from Afghanistan
http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/feingold-mcgovern

believed to be clean.