[Peace-discuss] Chomsky on New American Imperialism

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Mon Jun 28 16:30:04 CDT 2010

Good point Stuart even if it may be a little optimistic.  It is good to
understand and respect one's enemies and their capabilities; but it is not
so good to hope in the face of past history and experience for those who are
easily deceived to become less so or for those who went along to get along
before to suddenly see the light and stand up against the machine.  It is
certainly optimistic to assume that the masses will take up arms against the
establishment and become anything more than "paper tigers" armed with words
until their personal interests are at stake in a real and immediate way.
Should that happen, they will become frightened sheep who will follow anyone
who appears to offer simple answers and courses of action that play to the
fears.  The tea party movement, the Arizona reaction to immigration, the
white power movements, etc. tend to give evidence to this and serve as
potential examples and illustrations just as the McCarthyism, the racist,
and the anti-immigrant  movements of the past did.

The almost complete bureaucratization, transformation from an industrialized
society into a high tech service society, and the corporatization of the
U.s. and most of the Western world has changed the conditions drastically
from what existed even in the 1960 so as to alter the possibilities for
rebellion and revolt of the masses back then which influenced the
establishment and brought the Viet Nam war to a close.  The substantive
disregard for the beliefs, interests, and desires of masses (or even those
who voted for him) by the Obama administration with respect to policies,
practices, and actions gives ample evidence of this change in that we hear
all kinds of disparaging comments and talk but little actual rebellion by
the masses - even the collage age members of the public.  We certainly do
not see the working classes or the poor out on the streets disrupting
business as usual, refusing to volunteer for service in the military
establishment, cutting back on their conspicuous consumption and
consumerism, etc. The fact that they are hurting economically has
effectively restricted their ability to engage in consumerism and
conspicuous consumption; but it has not curbed their desire to do so if they
were given the capability to do so.  They complain about losses of jobs to
China, Mexico, and other third world countries while on their way to shop at
Wal-Mart so as to buy cheap products produced by low wage workers in those
third world countries.