[Peace-discuss] Chomsky on New American Imperialism

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 28 15:40:45 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 02:35:33PM -0500, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> Of course, it's not an excuse for 'staying' (i.e., continuing to kill
> people) or a justification of aggression and occupation to say that that is
> the policy of the entire US political establishment.  That's what we've
> been saying all along, in the face of those who thought Obama would save us
> from the Awful McCain (or Palin! or the Teapartiers!) - and so we had to
> support him...
>
> Like Ophelia, we were the more deceived.

Right -- it's nothing like an excuse.  But it is good for us to understand
the dynamics of wars, who gains what from them, and how they're sustained,
in order to be able to fit arguments against them.

If the strongest thing sustaining our Af/Pak war is US "political necessity",
that actually seems encouraging, because a raucous movement saying that
it's a war that the American people don't want could change that political fact.

> On 6/28/10 1:58 PM, Stuart Levy wrote:
>> ... One comment that surprised me was that, from Obama's point of view,
>> Chomsky thinks the dominant reasons for sticking with the war in
>> Afghanistan,
>> at this point, are domestic ones: backing out would be political suicide.

believed to be clean.