[Peace-discuss] [cchcc-l] Saturday's Health Reform Update & Take Action!

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Mar 21 17:15:49 CDT 2010

There is of course an "Obamacare" bill in that what is emerging from the
Congress is what the administration, with all its power to direct the debate,
has allowed to happen. It could have done something quite different - e.g.,
press for Medicare for all, as LBJ once established Medicare.

The following seems to belie the notion that there is a "notable lack of
substance in the arguments" of those who oppose it:

<http://fdlaction.firedoglake.com/2010/03/19/fact-sheet-the-truth-about-
the-health-care-bill/>.   --CGE

Ron Szoke wrote:
> There is no "Obamacare" bill, only one emerging from the stew of conflicting
>  agendas in congress.  I respect the opinion of some of those who oppose it,
>  but am not wholly convinced by their rhetoric -- which in some cases
> consists merely of sneers, insults, accusations & prophecies of doom.
>
> I grant that the bill seems radically flawed & unsatisfactory as it stands,
> but I support its passage in the (possibly unrealistic) hope that it can be
> changed to something more like single-payer in the near future -- perhaps a
> year or two. Either way, one's judgment rests on speculation about what will
>  happen in the future.  Those closest to the immediate situation -- CCHCC,
> CBHC, the nuns, etc. -- seem overwhelmingly to support it.  Those who predict
>  that it will result in ultimate disaster are faking & bluffing -- standard
> fare on this list, to be sure.
>
> What disappoints me is the confluence of the glib & the gullible in opposing
>  it, & the notable lack of substance in their arguments.
>
> Ambivalently,
>
> -- Ron

believed to be clean.