[Peace-discuss] [Discuss] Fw: Fw: What hath got rot?

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 23:12:10 CDT 2010

It seems to me the divisions that have been revealed her is pretty
indicative as to why a cohesive movement towards an equitable health care
system has not succeeded. Granted, I don't come from a background where I
have a well paying university job. It's been a few years since I've had
employer provided health insurance. I know what it's like to be a struggling
single parent without medical coverage. By that same token, having returned
to school I do understand the academic aspects of the debates and recognize
the practical "real world" applications that are involved. It's also
important to note that many people who do come from the university
environment or teach have flexible schedules which makes a degree of
valuable activism and involvement possible.

I haven't seen anyone who has supported the Obama plan claim that it's
perfect, or that no one will fall through the cracks. I would say that many
people here are saying lets take what is being given and make improvements
to this. In order to really advocate for a single payer system we need to
challenge the corporate run system of government that is already in place.
How much democracy can we really have in a nation where the vast majority of
wealth is in the hands of a small group of people? I've been critical of the
arguments for single payer, not because I think people don't care, but
because I think it's unrealistic at this point. Much of the deregulation of
industry and media that took place during the Reagan years has done much to
help create the current mess we are in and this is not something that can be
fixed overnight. A part of me thinks that we may end up facing a revolution
at some point where our current government gets overthrown before we can
really make needed changes to the power structure. But, is that something
that we, as a people, are ready for?

My maternal grandfather, who lived through the great depression, predicted
that we would come to this point when Reagan was in office. He was born in
1901, after Teddy Roosevelt became president, and was in his 40's (FDR
administration) when his youngest child, my mother, was born during WWII.
He was also happy when Medicare came along because he was amongst the first
generation of Americans who could take advantage. He probably would not have
lived as long as he did without the medical services he received as a result
of Medicare. I remember being in my late teens and early 20's and listening
to my grandfather tell me how the economic policies of the Reagan
administration would create problems down the road. He would probably
support a single payer system of health care. My father used to work for the
Dept of Public Aid and the IL Dept of Labor and he himself has advocated for
single payer for many years now so I do understand the reasoning and the
arguments behind it and I agree that is the best solution. However, until we
can reach that solution we can take what we can get and use that as a
platform to work towards progress.

- Marti

believed to be clean.