[Peace-discuss] Hello how ah ya.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed May 5 01:04:36 CDT 2010

Have you read any of the late George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman novels?  To my
mind some of the best historical fiction, learned and irreverent.

Flashman and the Dragon (1985) is the eighth in the series. Flashman meets both
the leaders of the Taiping Rebellion and members of the Qing Dynasty who
resisted the British march to Pekin in 1860 - and participates in the burning of
the Summer Palaces.

I'm told that the best thing in English on the Taiping Rebellion is Jonathan D.
Spence, God's Chinese Son (1966).

On 5/5/10 12:32 AM, E.Wayne Johnson wrote:
> I have been reading the "History of the Insurrection in China" written
> in 1854 which is about the early years of the Tai Ping Tian Guo. It's
> pretty interesting. Although the French romanization of the Chinese is a
> bit strange and inconsistent, I can figure out what they mean by the
> names and places and know some of those places.
>
> The Tai Ping Kingdom was successful against the degenerating Qing
> Dynasty and took over most of south China before being crushed by the
> British army in the 1860's.
>
> Sun Yat-Sen was heavily influenced by one of the surviving old Tai
> Ping-ers.

believed to be clean.