[Peace-discuss] ron paul, teabaggers, and some of their best friends

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed May 5 14:08:17 CDT 2010

You're right about the mutiny, and that's why the Pentagon doesn't want the
draft back. It much prefers mercenaries, whether working-class (enlistees) or
petit-bourgeois (Blackwater, etc.).

The Obama administration has avoided publicizing the large number of mercenaries
of the second type who are fighting its war in AfPak.  Obama in fact has more
military of both types in the Middle East than Bush ever did. But that's to be
kept quiet, too.  His supporters acquiesce and say, "He really wants peace."

Of course he does.  Everyone does - on their own terms.  The invasions of Russia
and Vietnam - twenty years part in the mid 20th century were both in pursuit of
peace, and Obama's ongoing invasion of the Mideast is not really different.
(Obama needs the presence of terrorism to justify his military depredations,
where the former two used communism for that purpose.)

I'd argue that the American anti-war movement of the 1980s (no draft) was more
effective than the similar movement of the 1960s (with the draft).  When the
Reagan administration came to office in 1981 it wanted to put troops into Latin
America as the the Kennedy administration had put them into SE Asia 20 years
before.  (The Reagan administration consciously modeled itself on the Kennedy
administration across the board.)

But it was prevented from doing so by the "Vietnam syndrome" - popular
opposition - so the Reagan war policy in LA was forced underground (where it was
still as murderous as Kennedy-Johnson-Nixon in Vietnam).  It was opposed by a
vigorous  (and largely church-based) antiwar movement.  Reagan didn't dare
revive the draft because - as a Vietnam-vet/bar tender I knew said, "You can
walk home from El Salvador."

You may recall that Rep. Rangel suggested your policy in 2003 and in subsequent
years, introducing legislation that would make all Americans subject to the
draft up to the age of 42. He didn't get much support.

believed to be clean.