[Peace-discuss] [Discuss] [sf-core] Fwd: yesterday's article on massive racial inequality in wealth

C. G. ESTABROOK cge at shout.net
Fri May 21 20:17:50 CDT 2010

If the US were "still just as racist as it was 40 years ago" BHO would never
have been elected president; if it were just as sexist, Clinton and Palin would
never have been serious candidates.

You can't simply ignore two generations of victories by the civil rights and
related movements.

At a time when class difference in the US is as high as it’s been in the last
hundred years, we’re being urged not to talk about what we never talk about (the
inequalities produced by capitalism) and to talk lots more about what we always
talk about (the inequalities produced by racism). Why?

One answer, of course, is the absolutely central role race and racism have
played in our history. But it’s not a very good answer. The growing (and
accelerating) inequalities of the last 40 years were not caused by racism and
the catastrophic consequences of the current crash will not be alleviated by
anti-racism.

Neoliberalism has quite brilliantly encouraged the response to more inequality
to be a call for more diversity; neoliberalism insists that the only
inequalities we need to do anything about are the ones produced by prejudice.
Whose purposes does that serve?

believed to be clean.