[Peace-discuss] reduction in size of the Champaign County Board?

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 10:42:46 CDT 2010

Can someone comment on the issue of the reduction in size of the
Champaign County Board?
The following is what I understand of the situation.

> why would certain groups get no representation?

Diluted representation. i.e. the poor and minorities would be diluted
by being mixed with rich white people and having fewer seats to fill.
Right now the poor have enough of a say that a representative can get
on the board. With fewer seats to fill, there is an easier chance that
one of the removed chairs would be the voice of the poor.

> they're moving from 9 districts to 11, right?
Not necessarily. I think there are 3 proposals on the table of how
they would move from 27 to 17 board members.

The current situation is 9 districts with 3 reps from each.

In May, 2010, there were 3 proposals:
17 members, 17 single-member districts
18 members, from 9 multi-member districts
22 members, from 11 multi-member districts

I'm still looking for more information on this.
John Bambanic is for the reduction of county board members.
Carol Ammons is against (I think). and I think Jan Anderson was
against (I think).
But I have not talked to either of these women recently on the issue.