[Peace-discuss] reduction in size of the Champaign County Board?

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 12:58:16 CDT 2010

I tend to agree with Robert at this point. Well, actually at the point where
the actual proposal was pointed out to me. I think this is the best of the 3
proposals that were on the table early in the year in that it would be
harder to gerrymander.

I'm still interested in what Carol might say.

-karen medina

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Robert Naiman <naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Jenifer Cartwright <jencart13 at yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>> I'm still confused -- If more districts are added, can we be sure those
>> won't be gerrymandered to advantage the advantaged?
>

> You can't be "sure," but the smaller the districts are, the harder they are
> to gerrymander, so, "all other things being equal," the concern stated
> indicates that one should support smaller districts.
>

>> And if there are fewer reps from ea district, it again seems that the
>> advantaged will be advantaged.
>>

> Why? In my experience, it's the opposite. In some of the more conservative,
> Republican, rural areas, it's hard to field 3 vigorous progressive
> candidates. Maybe you find one or two progressive people who are willing to
> run. The other side runs as a slate. So, it's one against three or two
> against three; moreover, your people go into the poll, it says "vote for
> three," and some of your people vote for you and one or two of the people
> you're running against, resulting in a net zero vote for you if that happens
> to include the lowest vote-getter of the opposing slate. All of this makes
> it hard for dissident voices to break in with 3 member districts.
>

>> On the other hand, 22 vs 27 members would be more efficient when it comes
>> to making decisions and getting things done, all things being equal. But ARE
>> they equal?? Bambi's pro and Carol's anti, if those are still their stands,
>> makes it a no for me.
>>  --Jenifer
>>

> I'm not a fan of Bambi, but the claim that he supports this proposal is no
> argument.

"In this universe, we are given two gifts: the ability to love, and the
ability to ask questions." (Mary Oliver, American poet)