[Peace-discuss] Letter submitted to DI

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 21:43:43 CDT 2010

Those of us who feel that we are blessed with a certain moral superiority or
purity run the risk, it seems to me, of falling into the trap illustrated
below.  To wit:

1)  We are by definition the Teachers, Custodians of The Facts;

2)  Those who disagree with our own analysis of The Facts are, by
definition, incapable of "teachable moments"; and

3)  We drive away even those who are inclined to agree with us 90% of the
time.

I have long felt that there is much wisdom to be gleaned from the parable of
the five blind men and the elephant.

John Wason

Jennifer, it depends what you mean by "teachable moment." Before you can