[Peace-discuss] Tell Congress to renew unemployment benefits!

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 15 22:42:26 CST 2010

--- On Mon, 11/15/10, James Rucker, ColorOfChange.org <info at colorofchange.org> wrote:
#yiv867942313 , #yiv867942313 td, #yiv867942313 font {font-size:10pt;}
#yiv867942313
#yiv867942313 td p {margin:0em;}
#yiv867942313 p {margin:1em 0em;}
#yiv867942313 td div p {margin:1em 0em;}
#yiv867942313
#yiv867942313 .yiv867942313X0uMP p {margin:1em 0;}

More than 2 million workers and their families are in danger of losing their unemployment benefits just before the holidays.

Tell Congress to renew unemployment insurance now:

Dear Jenifer,

For millions of Americans and their families, a storm is brewing.  Unless Congress acts by November 30th, two million unemployed Americans who are struggling to find work will be cut off from vital unemployment payments just before the holiday season.1

It would be a disaster — not only for people who are out of a job and whose only lifeline is these small unemployment payments, but for the entire economy.2

It's going to be a tough fight to make sure Congress extends these benefits — Republicans and conservative Democrats have stood in the way of extending unemployment insurance in the past, and they're likely to do it again.  They say we can't afford to pay for it, but many of the same politicians are willing to add trillions to the deficit to extend President Bush's massive tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans.

Please join us in demanding that Congress extend unemployment benefits, and ask your friends and family to do the same:

http://www.colorofchange.org/preserve/?id=2143-1141418

The economic downturn has hurt everyone, but it's hit Black communities particularly hard — unemployment among Black folks is at 16%, twice the national average. For young Black men, it's above 40%.3

Economists say that unemployment benefits are one of the most effective ways to boost the economy, and the U.S. Census Bureau data reports that 3.3 million more people would have fallen below the poverty line in 2009 without unemployment benefits.4,5

There are some signs that the economy is starting to recover — the number of new people applying for unemployment benefits has recently fallen.  But if Congress fails to extend unemployment for 2 million people who are currently out of work, it would deal a serious blow to that progress.  Those two million jobless Americans won't have money to spend on their basic needs, and all kinds of businesses will suffer as a result — and be even less likely to start hiring.

Congress reconvenes on November 15 — and will only have a short time to continue the federal unemployment benefits program before the November 30 deadline. This past May, because of what conservative Democrats and Republicans to block extending unemployment benefits, Congress missed the deadline and allowed the program to lapse for seven weeks — stopping benefits to more than 2.5 million long-term unemployed job-seekers and their families. The unemployed cannot afford another lapse in benefits, and neither can our economy.

It's hard to believe, but some politicians are saying we can't afford to pay for these benefits, while at the same time trying to extend President Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy.  It's a position that prioritizes luxury for the wealthy over survival for the most vulnerable people in our country — and it makes no sense for our economy.

Congress hears from wealthy people with access and power every day.  So it's essential for all members of Congress to hear from ordinary Americans who are struggling to make ends meet or know someone who is.

Please join us in demanding that Congress extend unemployment benefits by clicking the link below.  We're working with the National Employment Law Project to deliver your message to Congress this week.  And we'll keep our eye on politicians who are standing in the way of doing what's right for our economy, and we'll give you ways to hold them accountable.

http://www.colorofchange.org/preserve/?id=2143-1141418

Thanks and Peace,

-- James, Gabriel, William, Dani, Natasha, and the rest of the ColorOfChange.org team

   November 15th, 2010
Help support our work. ColorOfChange.org is powered by YOU — your energy and dollars. We take no money from lobbyists or large corporations that don't share our values, and our tiny staff ensures your contributions go a long way. You can contribute here:

https://secure.colorofchange.org/contribute/