[Peace-discuss] news from Jewish Voice for Peace / disrupted Prime Minister Netanyahu's speech to say: "Israel's actions delegitimize it"

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 15:01:34 CST 2010

Forwarding News from "Jewish Voice for Peace":
The biggest news continues to be what happened in New Orleans last week and
since. As you may already know, our Young, Jewish, and Proud leaders made
headlines around the world when they disrupted Israel Prime Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu's speech at the country's largest gathering of Jewish
leaders (watch the *dramatic - and disturbing - video
here<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=nGovSw4U6AGTr8C2wy5r8xQJ5eqv3dTM>
*).
http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/301/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=5132

November 8, 2010
Young Jews challenge leadership at the Jewish Federation General Assembly in
New Orleans. They disrupted Prime Minister Netanyahu's speech to say:
"Israel's actions delegitimize it, not those working to put an end to its
violations of international law.

They shouted: "The Loyalty Oath delegitimizes Israel!"(gets taken out by
security)
"The occupation delegitimizes Israel!" (gets taken out by security)
"Settlements betray Jewish values!" (gets taken out by security)
"The siege of Gaza delegitimizes Israel!"
"I am a Jew, and you delegitimize me!"
"Silencing dissent delegitimizes Israel!"

[image: Jewish Voice for Peace]

 *IN THIS ISSUE:*

*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=n7r8X7nuzmzyk46DlCEIjRQJ5eqv3dTM>
**<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ojpdj80NQtXNsYvDKYyOyhQJ5eqv3dTM>
**<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2FyLde8WUm7Zv%2FZcTBQaf0xQJ5eqv3dTM>
**<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=IAcjJ3RdgHNGlQ1w1R1RCBQJ5eqv3dTM>
**Support for Israeli settlement
boycott<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2F%2FAZc8PZluLb2SDpLaWoRxQJ5eqv3dTM>

**<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=QffcddHLlGjN54YIEhunEBQJ5eqv3dTM><http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=nhL%2FTyDzdjdtEYcysHD5sRQJ5eqv3dTM><http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=4gdqMkl0AmT%2BKOW2X33qQRQJ5eqv3dTM><http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=gsSzURbiN%2BiEpy%2FTbNQzkhQJ5eqv3dTM>TIAA
CREF: divest from
occupation<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=E9GXmZStCGI6BEwAPFe96hQJ5eqv3dTM>

<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Lk2EyAx9576Eu7ryLQH%2FNxQJ5eqv3dTM><http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=r%2F5Jf7ryUHvSEipKgCcBlRQJ5eqv3dTM><http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=cATUZ2oCDvpS5gdEb%2BLeSxQJ5eqv3dTM><http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=HHOF87ZnruB%2FxPv9SlNOMBQJ5eqv3dTM><http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=V2rZTu2aZ0luBOjFfs540BQJ5eqv3dTM>Letter
from JVP Executive Director
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=qd%2Fod2OEUdbYho3n6ZhkyGvRyWBu07cq>

<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=4XG9vBgrcbrYuYEprcc%2FkhQJ5eqv3dTM>
**<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=khy4k5elZ%2BdlHT0PDg5rRxQJ5eqv3dTM>
**<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ADAPpvmQVDOTOjCQ7AoAURQJ5eqv3dTM>
**<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=lydmOSPT8E3Z%2Fp1zjkxEbmvRyWBu07cq>
**<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=lFgjSTqDKcBCGPOWvYzIuhQJ5eqv3dTM>
**New Jewish Voice for Peace
chapters<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=leBf6bPyE2Jl9UeWXmPV%2FBQJ5eqv3dTM>
*

*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=kwZf8iyIvcZoD%2FbxMd9YEBQJ5eqv3dTM>
**National Membership
Meeting<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2FLkQ4Ce8e2gDE8caIjra0BQJ5eqv3dTM>
*

* You make this valuable work possible.
Please give to support JVP today.
 http://tinyurl.com/give11-10<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=KPxfsnFdrazNGWKYUKE7ZxQJ5eqv3dTM><http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=p91nKn0Z8%2FC2Y1bp6TXdUxQJ5eqv3dTM>
**<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=CJHfZCK2uZ4QlsM0cBrWthQJ5eqv3dTM>
*

*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=AgDaykO4YWPC9bdJg7tGtBQJ5eqv3dTM>
*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=0k7xsY6NoYff5WmYx8dKMBQJ5eqv3dTM><http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=4YQH223ZBS%2B0m6pNCOCh5xQJ5eqv3dTM>
*
*

* *  * *

 Dear Karen,

The last few weeks - months, really - have been incredible, challenging,
exciting and daunting for Jewish Voice for Peace.  I just can't think of a
time when your support and participation have mattered more to us. So, thank
you - and thank you for continuing to stick with us in the months ahead.
 The biggest news continues to be what happened in New Orleans last week and
since. As you may already know, our Young, Jewish, and Proud leaders made
headlines around the world when they disrupted Israel Prime Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu's speech at the country's largest gathering of Jewish
leaders (watch the *dramatic - and disturbing - video
here<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=nGovSw4U6AGTr8C2wy5r8xQJ5eqv3dTM>
*).

 We knew that this action would be big, but the attention our young leaders
and Jewish Voice for Peace have garnered has been overwhelming. We have
struck a nerve among Jews everywhere and among people who care about human
rights. Many who tried their best to ignore JVP before are paying attention
now - and that attention brings unique challenges to our lean organization.
You can help (and I hope you will) by *signing our letter of support for our
young leaders<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=jmYMoBaiRAvm9zCteb6x5hQJ5eqv3dTM>
**<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ayAqfuUoyT8IGUsF3y7xAhQJ5eqv3dTM>
* and/or by *making a donation to support our
work<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=UckfSBxUXmjoJYqxaoyGHRQJ5eqv3dTM>
**<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=X8j%2FBb4uiU1l6zDiRxsR0GvRyWBu07cq>
**.* Both actions matter.
*
We'll keep you posted about what's next, and thank you so much for making
all this work possible. *

In solidarity and gratitude,

 Rebecca Vilkomerson
 Executive Director
 Jewish Voice for Peace

P.S. Thousands of you are getting our print newsletter in the mail right
now. Here is an email version for all of you, including those of your who
prefer to read your news online.

*Theater and Film stars support Israeli settlement boycott
** * When 60 Israeli theater artists refused to perform in a new
million-dollar cultural center in one of the largest settlements in the West
Bank, they immediately came under attack from the Israeli government. Jewish
Voice for Peace acted fast, gathering the names of over 250 leading American
theater and performing artists who stood with them in solidarity.
*Read<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=dh%2FeHcF0GixFGtZ9Bc26WxQJ5eqv3dTM>
.
*
*TIAA CREF: A rapid start to our divest from occupation campaign.*
Since the start of our campaign, we've gathered 17,000 signatures and have
seen campaigns in 20 different cities beginning to mobilize.   *Find out how
the campaign is
growing.<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=20wNZY7V6aN%2BwjHxRLiyxhQJ5eqv3dTM>
*

*Letter from JVP Executive Director Rebecca Vilkomerson
* As even the ADL has recognized, the landscape is changing, JVP is a huge
part of that change, and that is very scary for those who would maintain the
status quo.* Read
More.<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=K57d7lasIL0mEZ62Gj0IfxQJ5eqv3dTM>

New Jewish Voice for Peace chapters across the United States
* From the University of Arizona and Brandeis University to Louisville, KY,
Los Angeles and Westchester, NY, we’re seeing more and more Jewish Voice for
Peace chapters  all the time. *Read
more.<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=jFYuFJFwx109JUAPG9X%2F%2BhQJ5eqv3dTM>
*

*Save the Date: JVP National Membership Meeting, Philadelphia, March 11-13**
*Sign up for membership now to be able to attend.  *Read
more<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Z0pNUoEWYY1n20aNHASyOxQJ5eqv3dTM>
**.*

   - Would you like to be removed from the list? Click here to
unsubscribe.<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=1YZT6vzBSMpdPtVF5bXh8xQJ5eqv3dTM>
   - Subscribe to our blog
Muzzlewatch<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=TVQto4Tq%2BdS31VwHrWjVU2vRyWBu07cq>
   .
   - Check out our new blog,
   <http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=u%2BroghwpnOxa09nOJLtf1hQJ5eqv3dTM>The
   Only Democracy?<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=xsWAlPDa%2FdhouCdfW7hnkhQJ5eqv3dTM>
   - Inspired by what we're doing? Please donate
now.<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Fnc4JhVkfbMfAfR%2FoqfGwBQJ5eqv3dTM>
Every
   donation makes a difference.
   - Contact us directly at Jewish Voice for Peace. 1611 Telegraph Avenue,
   Suite 550. Oakland, CA 94612 510-465-1777 info at jvp.org

   [image: empowered by Salsa] <http://www.salsalabs.com/?email>

--
-- karen medina
* "the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark