[Peace-discuss] The vindication of Ron Paul

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Fri Nov 19 22:56:21 CST 2010

"It is [Ron Paul] who sparked a new American Revolution and, after all
these years, can no longer be easily ignored."

The vindication of Ron Paul
Will founding father of the tea party movement get his due from party
leaders?

Ron Smith
Baltimore Sun

5:01 PM EST, November 18, 2010

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-smith-20101118,0,202354.column

Congressional Republicans used to enjoy the luxury of ignoring Ron
Paul's cantankerous objections to the political premises they shared
with their counterparts across the aisle. The question now is whether in
the new Congress to be seated in January the longtime Texas
representative will be allowed to chair the Subcommittee on Domestic
Monetary Policy and Technology on the House Financial Services Committee.

Mr. Paul is the ranking minority member now, so the job would seem to be
his after the GOP sweep in the midterm election, but the Republican
leadership will decide whether to give the leading critic of the Federal
Reserve Bank a prominent role in overseeing the Fed itself as well as
the U.S. Mint and the U.S. relationship with the World Bank.

As little as they may relish the idea described above, kicking him to
the curb could cause a huge problem with those new Republican
representatives who identify themselves with the tea party movement.

Remember, it was Ron Paul supporters who kick-started the tea party into
life on Dec. 16, 2007, when they dumped a $6 million "money bomb" into
his presidential campaign on the anniversary of the Boston Tea Party.

Not that all or even most tea partiers are Paulians when the rubber
meets the road. Abolishing the Patriot Act, which he advocates, probably
wouldn't be at the top of the priority list for the 52 Republican
members of Congress who say they'll join a Tea Party Caucus.

Nor would most of these people back an actual anti-interventionist
foreign policy, or ending the drug war, or abolishing the Fed, as does
Mr. Paul, who has warned against what he sees as a neocon infiltration
into the movement.

In fact, loner that he is, the good doctor will distance himself from
the House Tea Party Caucus even though he is a towering figure to many
of its probable members. Responding to press queries, his chief of
staff, Jeff Deist, said, "Congressman Paul decided not to join the Tea
Party Caucus. He strongly believes that the tea party movement should
remain a grassroots phenomenon, rather than being co-opted by Washington
or any political party."

His son, Rand Paul, also a medical doctor, was elected to the U.S.
Senate from Kentucky and is working to organize a Tea Party Caucus
within the Senate. However much he might or might not agree with his
father's more radical ideas remains to be seen, but the potential for
some much-needed principled dissent from the justly maligned status quo
in the upper chamber is tantalizing.

We should be particularly grateful to Ron Paul for his controversial
performance in the GOP presidential debate in South Carolina in October
2007, the one where he stood before his fellow candidates and supposedly
"blamed America" for the attacks of Sept. 11. Of course, he didn't
actually "blame America," he merely pointed out that foreign policy has
consequences, and that people get angry when their lands are occupied
and they are bombed in their homes: "They attack us because we've been
over there. We've been bombing Iraq for 10 years. … We've been in the
Middle East. Right now, we're building an embassy in Iraq that's bigger
than the Vatican. We're building 14 permanent bases. What would we say
here if China was doing this in our country or in the Gulf of Mexico? We
would be objecting."

Rudy Giuliani, who made his fortune exploiting the coincidence that he
was New York City's mayor when the attacks took place, won the biggest
applause of the night with this reaction: "That's really an
extraordinary statement. That's really an extraordinary statement, as
someone who lived through the attack of Sept.11, that we invited the
attack because we were attacking Iraq. I don't think I have ever heard
that before and I have heard some pretty absurd explanations for Sept.
11. I would ask the congressman withdraw that comment and tell us that
he didn't really mean that."

That didn't happen. Ron Paul chose to speak to the American people as
though they were adults, thus violating the rules of Politics 101.
"America's Mayor" went on to spend more than $20 million to win a single
vote at the nominating convention.

Ron Paul never came close to getting the presidential nomination. He
just went about his quirky business, talking to Americans as though they
were capable of understanding his critique of foreign policy and the
dangers of mounting public debt. Due to the Great Recession, a large
number of them did understand and acted on the information.

It is he who sparked a new American Revolution and, after all these
years, can no longer be easily ignored.