[Peace-discuss] ...goes marching on

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Oct 3 14:05:12 CDT 2010

  "[For those who like me miss the characteristic business messages from the
late Martin Lukes in the Financial Times, here's an American analogue -] a
fund-raising appeal recently sent out by Florida-based Nancy and Mark Gilbert,
who are big money raisers for the Democratic Party, also active in fundraising
for Israel:

‘Dear Friends,

“Under the radar” is not what we’re used to in the Jewish community.

We demand it big and bold and we need it loud and clear. (and- that is A. O. K.! )

But- when work is done quietly and not with SCREAMING headlines, we sometimes
miss it.

Silly us! WAKE UP EVERYONE…. It’s a new (Jewish) year ! And our President and
his team (and YES, our CONGRESS) have done, are doing and WILL continue to do
extraordinary work in connection with America’s best friend: the State of Israel.

At the Israeli Ambassador’s residence on Monday, the annual Rosh Ha Shanah
(Jewish New Year for our non-Jewish friends on this email) reception guest list
included national and international Jewish organization leaders; elegantly
dressed Foreign Ambassadors and members of the diplomatic corps, a host of
Rabbis from across the religious spectrum ; famous authors, renown professors
and magnificently decorated military personnel from several countries including
at least one U.S. 3-star General (Dayton). We were invited because my husband
Mark is the National Deputy Finance Chairman of the Democratic party, I’m the
owner of an Israel tour company and have been heavily involved in tourism to
Israel for 15 years and probably- and most importantly- because our daughter was
Ambassador Oren’s student at Yale.

Thank You, President Obama!

Ambassador Oren and his wonderful wife Sally warmly received each guest -then
stood before the assembled crowd in what was the best stump speech for President
Obama that I have heard from any world leader (and yes, Ambassador Oren speaks
FOR Prime Minister Netanyahu of Israel!). Without a note, Ambassador Oren
outlined the brilliant accomplishments and strong support of Israel demonstrated
by the Obama Administration in LESS THAN 2 YEARS! Oren invoked our President’s
name, time and time again: (please memorize these bullet points and tell
everyone you know!)

President Obama has led the global effort to prevent Iran from obtaining a
nuclear weapon.

President Obama’s leadership (and coaxing) has produced an international
coalition that INCLUDES China and Russia who have implemented unprecedented
sanctions against Iran, which, according to conversations at the Monday
reception, appear to have caught Iran off-guard

President Obama and his team are spending more time on this issue than almost
any other issue facing our country today

President Obama and our Congress have provided Israel with every cent (and then
some) of foreign assistance requested by Israel

President Obama has restored Israel’s QME (qualitative military edge) which had
been neglected for the last 8 years

President Obama is the FIRST American leader to say – in an Arab country (Egypt)
that the Arab world must recognize Israel as a JEWISH state and in a support of
Israel’s legitimacy to affirm the –quote- “unshakeable “ bond between the USA &
Israel

President Obama & team played a critical role in leading a UNANIMOUS vote to
include Israel in the OECD (Organization of Economic Cooperation & Development).
The vote was 31-0 admitting Israel to this prestigious organization

President Obama has dispatched leaders of the Joint Chiefs to Israel not once,
but four times already in his less-than-2-years in office ( before that the
Joint chiefs had not been in Israel for YEARS (not once during the ‘last’
administration)

The Obama administration has integrated US missile technology into Israel’s
expanding missile shield. NO OTHER AMERICAN PRESIDENT HAS DONE THIS.

The Obama administration continues to fund development of ARROW-3, Israel’s
advanced long-rage, high-altitude system for countering Iranian ballistic missiles

President Obama asked Congress for $205 million dollars for Israel’s IRON DOME
rocket defense system (which will reduce incoming rocket threats from Hizbullah
in the north and Hamas in the south…) – this request is IN ADDITION TO the $3
BILLION budgetary request for Israel’s security assistance!

And my personal under-the-radar item; the Obama team’s clever input to
re-wording the Gaza blockade language which not only garnered international
support for Israel (and a promise not to condemn Israel if Gd forbid there is
another flotilla incident) BUT effectively thwarted several pending flotillas in
Mediterranean and Persian Gulf ports… that simply became the boats-to-nowhere!

And last, but surely not least, (and listed in this basic order by Ambass. Oren)
the Israeli-Palestinian conflict negotiators are sitting as we speak at a table
together – talking. Who knows what the result will be….but talking is the only
way to get anywhere. And it is a giant step in a positive direction.
This email is too long already and I hope you have gotten this far, but you must
realize that the list of bullet points above is extraordinary.

Unprecedented.

And all accomplished by the Obama team and the current congress- in less than
two years in office.

Looking ahead to 5771, may you and your families be blessed with a beautiful
year, filled with good health, good times and ….peace.

With warm regards from our house to yours,

Sincerely,

Nancy & Mark Gilbert.’"

http://www.counterpunch.org/cockburn10012010.html